Sorcerer's Descent, a Rock the Cabinet Entry

Read here for news and important updates regarding Impossible Bosses.
Creator

Sorcerer's Descent, a Rock the Cabinet Entry

Postby Psyris » December 13th, 2015, 6:19 pm

So for the past several months, CorruptionOfLOL and I have been developing a new game: Sorcerer's Descent!

CorruptionOfLOL commentated a bunch of screenshots and wrote an in-depth post about the game here.

Sorcerer's Descent is a co-operative stealth-focused role-playing game for one to four players wherein you are tasked with navigating a labyrinth of caves, descending ever deeper while taking advantage of darkness, light, sound, and of course a bit of magic to avoid and outwit the creatures within. I promise that this is a game unlike any you have ever seen on the StarCraft II Arcade...

Play it now!

We've entered it in Blizzard's Rock the Cabinet contest. Now it's just a month of waiting to see if we make the top 10. If we make the top 10, it'll be open to public voting! Any feedback on the game is welcome!

I haven't forgotten about IB either. I released patch 3.1 today and I do have some more content I'd like to get in eventually.

Advertisement

Re: Sorcerer's Descent, a Rock the Cabinet Entry

Postby Krucho » December 21st, 2015, 10:20 pm

Game is crazy good. Damm my first encounter with a boss, I ran into the blue runes thinking it was a bonus or something, had a little surprise when time lord popped and destroyed me.

I have one big complaint off the top of my head: the camera angle is really bad for this kind of game where camera follows you, it shows you very little of the bottom of the screen, but so much of the top of the screen.
Because of this you almost never want to visit rooms straight down because it just feels horrible, you can't see shit.
And you also get cheap vision on like 2-3 rooms on top of you just because of this angle, which can notably allow you to see the exit or bosses from way too far away.
Honestly I think the whole game would benefit from a more straight angle, the perspective of the current angle can be really annoying when there is a action too.

Other than that I think the harmless creatures are boring, the torchman is literally just a moving torch and the glowbat is just a "hey this room is super safe" indicator, maybe make them (or some of them?) just a little bit dangerous.

I also think it would be nice to be able to bait more monsters by throwing torches. Like, I tried throwing torches at the face of monsters and practically all of them have 0 reaction whatsoever besides the zombie who is the easiest guy to dodge anyways. Currently the game is a lot about "how can I rush quickly through this room" I just think it would be pretty cool to have more "how can I carefully go through this room" by manipulating monsters with torches instead.

Creator

Postby Psyris » December 21st, 2015, 11:16 pm

Glad you like it!

We're looking into fixing that camera issue for the next patch. I do like aspects of the current camera. I feel being able to see far adds a neat atmosphere but we'll experiment with some angles. We can't update the map for the contest period so it'll be a bit.

Adding some threat to the neutral creatures is a really cool idea. We have a lot of ideas for other types of neutral creatures too.

Thrown torches having more of an impact sound is a great idea; we'll add it!

Appreciate all the feedback.

Also, the version on EU is just a little out of date. It's missing the Ogre Child enemy (I think) and a few other minor things.

Administrator
Location: Lurking in the shadows, ready to use the BanHammer.

Postby Dem0n_Hunter » January 10th, 2016, 1:10 pm

Hey Psy, sorry I was IMA for a couple of weeks. I was on vacation for the holidays and I didn't have access to a computer since Dec 17th. I'm back now and as soon as I get my shit together I'm gonna give this a try.
**********I AM BLIND NOT DEAF***********

Noob

Postby Elmer » May 12th, 2016, 10:31 pm

That's really useful.

Return to Announcements