Priest is hard

Discuss the ways in which Impossible Bosses could be improved.

Priest is hard

Postby Krucho » June 10th, 2014, 6:51 am

Hi, first of all thanks for making these masterpieces.

I am pretty sure that priest currently is the hardest class to play, for multiple reasons :
1. you have to constantly focus on both boss moves and all players hp, to avoid your allies and yourself to die.
2. you have to have twitching reflexes to heal correctly as it requires you to click on players that are 10 times smaller than the boss and always in movement.
3. heal is probably the most spammable spell thus requires even more apm.

And i am not saying that's awful, but that's not .. fair ? If you compare with the fire mage for instance : he presses S once in a while, W once in a while, spam Q in the general direction of the boss…
So I suggest adding a small "aoe detection" on targeted heals (Q,W,E) that targets the closest ally in the aoe in case you miss them by some pixels. (to address 2. problem)

EDIT : also now that I think of it, it would be nice to be able to see units hp (especially bosses's minions).

EDIT 2 : would be nice to be able to rebind controls also, frenchies like myself have a terrible keyboard layout and if I go in US mode it is hard to write correctly.
Last edited by Krucho on June 10th, 2014, 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Noob

Re: Priest is hard

Postby Rangerdeath » June 10th, 2014, 7:47 am

I have to agree with krucho, what he asks seems pretty fair.
I would also suggest to increase the "heal" cooldown and give it more heal. Would be easier to use it to its fullness.

Semi-Noob

Postby Inkling » June 10th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Rangerdeath wrote:I have to agree with krucho, what he asks seems pretty fair.
I would also suggest to increase the "heal" cooldown and give it more heal. Would be easier to use it to its fullness.

Please, no.

Priest has always been the most micro-intensive class and I personally feel he's at a good spot right now. If you compare the Q CD to WC3, it's actually 0.5 seconds longer, and you don't need to think about animation cancelling and turn speed. Never mind buffing in between heals from WC3 is also gone?

So instead of heal -> stop/move -> buff -> stop/move -> buff -> stop/move -> heal every 1 second.
You now do heal -> attack -> heal every 1.5 seconds.

Notice you actually time in SC2 to always auto attack.

I could go on a long rant here, but priest definitely doesn't need this change. There should be a difference in heal output from good players and new players.

If you want to play a low APM class, play a different class.

Krucho wrote:EDIT : also now that I think of it, it would be nice to be able to see units hp (especially bosses's minions).

You can already add hp bars above adds and teammates (from in game SC2 settings).

Krucho wrote:EDIT 2 : would be nice to be able to rebind controls also, frenchies like myself have a terrible keyboard layout and if I go in US mode it is hard to write correctly.

As a temporary solution, you could try re-mapping your keys with http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/

Postby Krucho » June 10th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Let me explain again : it doesn't feel like you've played wrong when you get close to the low health dragon knight but he dies because you barely missed him while spamming E in panic. This is a problem only priest has because other classes obviously have Z-E-R-O issues targeting the ground for skillshots and aoe, or directly targeting the boss covering half the screen.

Why is it a problem ?
Because a Fire Mage that takes perfect decisions is effective. That's it.
And a Priest that takes perfect decisions is effective, only if he is extremely accurate with his mouse.
Execution of his decisions shouldn't be so hard compared to all other classes, the small aoe detection is what I suggest.

I also played IB 1 and yes this problem still applies with priest, it is probably worse on war3, but not necessarily because the priest also seemed to have a bit more room to breath as well. (now he has to use his nice R and S not just spamming heals)
This is not a whining over how hard priest is, I just want all classes to feel rewarding.

And I was talking about being able to count enemies hp, not just see their lifebar. Go ahead, tell me how much hp a necromancer summoned by Narthuul has...

Creator

Postby Psyris » June 10th, 2014, 7:23 pm

I will add this type of targeting for priest and other ally target abilities. As for other changes to priest, I like where the class is at for now. The next healer will be a change of pace, and wont have to spam as much. Boss life will be visible next patch and I'll look into adding segmented bars for other enemy units.

Semi-Noob

Postby Inkling » June 10th, 2014, 9:16 pm

I just want to say that being unable to play a class perfectly is not a design flaw in the game.

Noob

Postby Rdy » June 11th, 2014, 9:31 am

The simple answer since you are playing Starcraft 2, is to not pick a targeting class if you have that many reservations AND want to see early immediate results. [People use a Terran Ghost and use Snipe [a unit targeting skill] to counter Protoss High Templar's Storm [an AoE targeting ability] because there are trade offs to be made.

Alright Gentlemen and Ladies, I think we need to hear from the True priest who randoms twice, CorruptionOfLOL(who in my opinion is a odd fellow) so that we can better possibly hold a more neutral based discussion.

First, lets not constantly ask for changes of nerfs, buffs, or patching of a particular class. Why not just adapt? Some people are indeed better aimers because of innately trained reflexes due to years of gaming, training of a sport, or have a higher mouse sensitivity. If you prefer to reduce the chances of missing at a further distance, then run up to your target and shotgun the kevlar off their chest, rather than complain that an albatross flew in your crosshairs as you trigger fired and missed.

The 'Q' itself has a global cooldown of 1.5 seconds, that being said, it would be considered spammable because all other abilities in comparison are higher. Naturally, this allows you to move, auto-attack, and then 'Q' again. I understand that you want to make maximum efficiency and move further, think about your next best decision and then place your heal on a constant cooldown, but NO that's not how it works. If every other ability had 0 cooldown or .5 cooldown then 'Q' wouldn't be as spammy in comparison. [You should see Resourceful Soul pre-patch at 300%, you know nothing, Kruch-snow].

The targeting itself isn't so bad, primary because your cursor changes color and/or shape when you come in contact with a targetable unit, then you just click. If Psyris chose to implement the new system now for 'Q' Heal, and made it easier to heal the mess of a dying Dragon Knight you would be so much happier. Then you started playing with your other hand because you broke your normal mouse-gaming hand and are back to square one. Point being, player skill isn't always limited in every instance by the created system (albeit possibly limited by a flaw in game design), but rather the player.

You can choose to survive, or you can choose to help your team survive longer. Playing consistently and perfectly will take time, but will be one hell of a ride.

I will leave you what I was once told by the Wisdom That Is Psy: "It is".

TL;DR: Play to actively improve, rather than to play to have fun. Suddenly 'hard' is just a player flaw mixed in with luck in IB2.

Semi-Noob

Postby Inkling » June 11th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Rdy wrote:First, lets not constantly ask for changes of nerfs, buffs, or patching of a particular class. Why not just adapt?

This times a million. As a player you are supposed to adapt to the cards you are dealt by the developers, not complain until the difficulty is adjusted to YOUR skill level.

Postby Krucho » June 11th, 2014, 2:57 pm

The goal is not to make priest easier, but to make priest feel way better. Will you guys understand it at once, every class in IB 2 feels way better and fluid than their IB 1 counterpart, I just felt priest was a bit left out with that targeting so I suggested this very small buff.
If we liked easy games none of us would be playing impossible bosses, remember ?

Semi-Noob

Postby BeamerZ » June 11th, 2014, 11:57 pm

Yes, I suggested raising cool down on priest heal before as well. Please raise the cooldown by 50-100% and heal amount by 50-100% or it is just a nuisance to spam constantly.

Next

Return to Suggestions